Saturday, February 28, 2009

Twitter: Evolving past its design

I'm completely new to the whole Twitter concept so I do apologize if I get the lingo wrong. So recently we've been hearing so much about the new social media phenomenon, Twitter. Well what is it? I was browsing through TED.com and I managed to find a video that sort of gives a Twitter 101 speech on what it is and how it use has evolved beyond its design.




Evan Williams is the CEO of ODEO, the company that designed Twitter. With its initipal use as a simple status update (in 140 characters or less) or a SMS feed to family and friends, the real-time factor of its messaging system has evolved far beyond its original purpose. Now I'm beginning to see how the world is continuing to demand "CONSTANT" communication and Twitter has done just that! From wanting to tell your friends about where you are, what your eating, to a life threatening plea for help; Twitter can do it all for you!

Now the question I have about this revolutionary social networking tool is... doesn't the cell phone do this already? Isn't a simple text message the same? I guess it obviously doesn't have the same reach and it would take forever to send your status piece to everyone but is this not another form of SPAM for the average T
witter hater? Check out some comments and pics of what Twitter haters feel:





I think a lot of people see the use of Twitter but are misguided by its potential when they receive the most irrelevant social status updates from the people they follow! But the haters do have a point about how it might just be too much info to know the 'toilet just flushed at victor's house'. Use Twitter responsibly ... STOP SPAMMING and maybe even I will decide to pick it up someday ... (-.o)

1 comment:

  1. I guess the difference here is that you are asking to receive updates from the people you Follow.

    Problem with that when people feel the need to Follow people who Follow them... as to say "Yes I'm interested in your life too." But not really meaning it. Like the Facebook newsfeed, people complain about receiving too much info.

    Maybe the problem isn't as much in making better Tweets (we'll get over the learning curve), but to be careful what you ask for.

    ReplyDelete