Thursday, February 19, 2009

Shop today... a click away!

For the longest time, I had insecurities about shopping online. Maybe its the caution asian upbringing or just my skeptical side speaking out about online retailers, but I just don't like shopping online! Too many things to worry about, credit card fraud, trusting a virtual seller or even worse yet, receiving SPAM from personal information leak! Honest truth, I haven't ever bought anything from E-bay, Craig's List, Kijiji, Facebook... you name it. But I know it works! I was reading up from a marketing stats website called "marketing charts.com" and looked up the top 10 online retail categories and the top 10 online retailers:


Interestingly enough the top 3 online retail categories (Computer Hardware, Automotive, Consumer Electronics) did not correlate with the top 10 online retailers! I'm really not too sure why this phenomenon exists because it appears the top 10 online retailers are mostly for grocery, flowers, medicine and generic type clothing. I guess its interesting that the most popular online retail categories with the more technologically advanced products probably elicit more search behaviors by customers. However, due to high prices for tech products, people may still choose to buy these products in-store.

I'm not sure about many of the other sites on the top 10 retailers list, but I do have an interesting story to tell about Quixtar. I was once recruited to join the company and to start up my own portal to sell their products. I never actually went through with it when I found out that most of my sales would probably come from close family and friends before it could a viral effect. As well, it would have take me much too long to introduce new people to startup their own portals under me before their key termed "residual income" would kick in. Don't get me wrong, i'm not against portal sales or online sales, to me its just one word. Risky.

No comments:

Post a Comment