Thursday, February 5, 2009

Online News Ad Spend flips the boat on Print

My girlfriend always complains how I don't read enough of the newspaper, but I seem to always respond with "maybe you just can't see me reading behind my screen". Looking up a news article from the New York Times in 2006, and to my surprise the numbers astound me to how much ad spend on online news sites have grown!
In 2006, print ad spend only grew 0.3% to 10.5 billion, while online advertising grew 35% to 613 million! Even more astounding this trend continued to move up in 2007 where print ad spend went down to 10.1 billion and online news spend grew 21.1% to 773 million in Q3 of 2007! The chart below summarizes the ad spend data:


When information searching is so much apart of the daily lives of an urban citizen, one draws the question, what was life like before the internet? I don't know... but I'll be sure to search it up online. 

(source: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/06/business/media/06adco.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=Online%20News%20Ad%20spend&st=cse)

No comments:

Post a Comment